Answering the question: ¿What should I do to appear the first in Google?
The working area where web developers study how search engines handle the millions of pages they contain in their indexes, and the criteria followed when showing search results is known as SEO.
SEO also includes the concept of positioning: in which position does my web site appear when somebody executes a search with keywords related to my site.
Quite often we heard about "tricks" that gets you to the first position, there are even companies that promise the first position for an amount of money. Most of these strategies are opposite to search engines policies and thus penalized, risking to get banned from their indexes.
However, other techniques are not only accepted but also encouraged by search engines and a good web developer must take them into account when creating a web site.
- Everybody wants to appear the first one in Google.
- If there was a "trick" for achieving this without ending up banned in a few days, everyboy would do it.
- Being the first is not important but appearing in the right possition.
- The main constraint in positioning is content.
- Flash web sites will not position as good as XHTML sites, for now.
- Having a well programmed SEO oriented web site.
- Generate quality contents, original (copy/paste = bad idea) and in a regular basis.
- Promotion in the Internet: adds, participating in blogs and forums, including the web site in sectorial indexes, exchanging links with other RELATED sites.
- Promotion outside Internet: things you do related to your activity that generate content in other sites, especially if these sites are relevant and they include links to your site.
If despite of doing all this your competitors web sites are better positioned than you, either they are putting more effort on SEO or they have more antiquity.